Monday, May 16, 2016

Service '' () could not be stopped. Verify that you have the correct permissions to stop system services. Exchange 2010

Recently while attempting to update an out of date Exchange 2010 installation to the latest SP3 RU 13 patches. The catch is, the server only had SP1, RU8 installed.

I've previously jumped from SP1 RU4, straight to SP3, without issues, so I took the backup right before hand, and commenced doing the install.

Soon after I commenced, it failed when trying to remove 4934d1ea-be46-48b1-8847-f1af20e892c1. This GUID points to SP1RU8 patch, with the "Service " () cannot be stopped" error message. After identifying which update the GUID was pointing to, I attempted to run the uninstall from Programs and Features, command line, multiple domain admin accounts, even attempted to go into safe mode to remove it. Unfortunately, nothing would work, as I didn't have the required permissions to stop the mystery service. After a quick eyeball, I confirmed that none of the Exchange services were started, either - which is normal when you're doing an update. No clue.

At this stage, I decided to venture into the world we know as Google. I found only one other person (Captain Hotsauce) who had the same error message, with the exact same situation as me, who was posting on this Spiceworks post, with literally everything that I had attempted myself, and was in the same situation. I believe he had also posted on the TechNet forums, which ended in a suggestion to "Call Microsoft".

To get everything working again, I went through and manually started all the required Exchange services, so that I didn't have to restore the server from backups.

In the end, it was Captain Hotsauce who had figured out that not only was Exchange so far out of date, but so was Windows. Ran through a bunch of Windows updates, and everything was working.

I confirmed the same. I checked Windows Updates, which WSUS was controlling...poorly. It looks like someone had done an attempted uninstall of WSUS at some point in time, and botched it. I fixed this, performed over 180 Windows updates, rebooted. Attempted to manually uninstall SP1RU8, which was successful. I then went through and updated to SP3 with no issues, and immediately followed with CU13.

I'm posting this as an additional result for Google, so that anyone who runs into the same situation can find multiple posts confirming the successful resolution for both of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment